Are you ready to spice things up in the kitchen this festive season? Come this way for a sneak preview of what’s in Executive Chef, Malika van Reenen’s Christmas store cupboard.
“I have a very sweet tooth,” says Malika, “and the mere mention of the festive season makes me think sweet and spicy, incense, infused, buttery bold and gorgeous. It’s a time for indulgence, so why not reflect that in your cooking.”
Here are the ingredients Malika wouldn’t be without at this time of the year;
- Spices; cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and dry ginger, to make amazing cookies and biscotti.
- Dried figs & glace cherries for rich fruit cakes and special fruit mince pies.
- Cranberries and pistachios; the beautiful Christmas colours of red and green are wonderful in savoury stuffing or steamed puddings. “I will be making a dark chocolate, pistachio and cranberry pudding in Signal Restaurant – come and try it.”
- Sugar: use yellow sugar for biscuits and have a supply of white sugar and treacle to make homemade gift hampers; caramel fudge, coconut ice, glacéd fruit, preserves and fruit cordials.
- Come and see what we have on our afternoon ‘Sugar Buffet’ served in the Cape Grace Library. Look out for pistachio laced chocolate fudge or coconut ice fudge, glossy red toffee apples, meringues, brownies, marsh mallows and other delectable delights. It’s pure indulgence.
Sweet dreams! Malika