It’s Wine and Dine season at Signal Restaurant and this month the spotlight falls on Paul Cluver Wines’ owner, Paul Cluver.
- IF YOU COULD DO ANY OTHER JOB IN THE WORLD, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
My interest is in sustainability and ethical behaviour, so if I had the opportunity to do something else, then it would have to cover decision making in those areas. Either a consultant or manager in that field.
- WHAT’S THE BEST WINE YOU’VE HAD TO DATE (other than your own)?
Romanée-ContiLe Tache 1969
- WHAT ‘CHEAP & CHEERFUL’ WINE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND AS AN EVERY DAY DRINKING WINE?
Mmmmm this really depends on what you classify as cheap. Jordon Chenin Blanc or Paul Cluver Woolworths Cabernet Franc
- CORK OR SCREW CAP?
I prefer screw cap
- WHAT’S THE BEST CURE FOR A HANGOVER?
Appletizer! Works like a charm. Also a huge breakfast, preferably Eggs Benedict
- DO YOU ENJOY COOKING AND IF SO, WHAT’S YOUR SPECIALITY?
I love cooking!! I guess like any South African man I love braaing, but that is not exactly cooking. So I enjoy making pastas and a great Oxtail in the winter.
- WHAT WOULD YOU ORDER AS YOUR LAST MEAL?
Foie Gras starter that is pan seared on toast with Fleur de Sel, then as a main a wonderfully aged steak with black truffle mash and to finish, a berry soufflé with vanilla ice-cream
- WHAT FOOD WOULD YOU LOVE TO TRY BUT HAVEN’T YET HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO?
Difficult question as I have tried so many different things some of which I didn’t like at all. The things that I really wanted to try I have.
- WHO WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO SHARE A BOTTLE OF WINE WITH AND WHY?
My wife! I love her company and we both enjoy wine
- WHAT’S THE BEST THING ABOUT WINTER IN THE CAPE?
Dinner with a great fire going in the background
- AND LASTLY, TELL US ONE FUN FACT ABOUT YOURSELF THAT NOT EVERYONE KNOWS
I tend to fall asleep very easily and have done so in all kind of weird and wonderful places
Now that you know a little more about Paul, join him and Executive Chef, Malika van Reenen, on the 24th November as they take you on culinary journey showcasing the finest wines and freshest ingredients the Cape has to offer.
Starting with canapés in the Library, guests can enjoy a 3 course menu at R330 per person. To book, please contact Rene on 021 410 7097 / firstname.lastname@example.org