The fifth annual World Go Vegan Week is taking place from 24 – 31 October 2011. World Go Vegan Week is an international campaign to promote a vegan diet as a sustainable and healthy way of eating and living.
Although most of us know what vegetarianism is, veganism remains rather misunderstood. Vegans live on a plant-based diet (free from meat, milk, eggs, honey, gelatine or any other animal derivative). While many vegans feel passionately about animal welfare, a vegan diet and lifestyle go far beyond animal rights. It is said that following a healthy, balanced vegan diet ensures a host of health benefits as well as prevention of some of the major diseases striking people worldwide.
Top benefits of becoming a vegan:
1. Body Mass Index: Several population studies show that a diet without meat leads to lower BMIs – usually an indicator of a healthy weight and lack of fat on the body.
2. Weight loss: A healthy weight loss is a typical result of a smart vegan diet. Veganism eliminates most of the unhealthy foods that tend to cause weight issues. Read more about weight loss and a vegan diet here.
3. Energy: When following a healthy vegan diet, you will find your energy is much higher. This blog post in Happy Healthy Long Life describes how US NFL player Tony Gonzalez started eating vegan and gained energy, while still playing football.
4. Healthy skin: Vitamins A and E found in nuts and vegetables play a big role in healthy skin, so vegans will usually have good skin health. Many people who switch to a vegan diet will notice a remarkable reduction in blemishes as well.
5. Longevity: Several studies indicate that those following a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle live an average of three to six years longer than those who do not.
Signal Restaurant is celebrating World Go Vegan Week by offering our delectable Five Course Vegan Tasting Menu (including our Sommelier’s choice of wine pairings) for R350. Discover the benefits of veganism for yourself by joining us. To book or for more info, please contact Signal on 021 410 7080.