Be amazed by the YouTube video of a 75 year old grandmother dancing salsa and winning Spain’s equivalent of SA’s Got Talent in 2009. Don’t be fooled by the title ‘Ginger Rogers dances salsa at 92’ – it’s a prank – but if this doesn’t get you inspired to dance, I don’t know what will! Go get your dancing shoes and find your way to our Top 6 dance Spots in and around Cape Town and pop into Bascule Whisky, Wine & Cocktail Bar to recover and tell us all about it:
- Latin/Social/Hip Hop/Ballroom: are all taught at the various Dance Domain Studios in and around Cape Town – come with or without a partner.
- Salsa Cape Town; learn some sexy Latin moves on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Que Pasa Latin Lounge, 15 Caledon Street for only R50 per class.
- Capoeira: is a lively Afro-Brazilian blend of martial art, dance and game, marked by fluid acrobatic movements, sweeps and kicks. Classes are in Woodstock and Muizenberg at R350 for unlimited classes each month through Capoeira Codăo de Ouro Academy,
- OnPointe: learn to dance and express yourself while getting a ballet dancer’s physique, There’s equal focus on contemporary dance and body conditioning. Try an open evening class at the OnPointe studio, 54 Regent Street, Seapoint. Some proceeds go towards iKapa’s Outreach Program teaching dance and life skills to township children.
- Dance 4 Fitness: has a class for everyone from yoga, Zumba, ballet fusion, hip hop and pole dancing. Find them in Claremont.
You probably know of some other dance classes – do tell us!