Cape Town is blessed to have open-air venues that are perfect for summer concerts. What they usually have in common is that you can bring your own picnic and settle down on a blanket to soak up the music and atmosphere.
Here are 5 of the best Cape Town Summer Concert venues:
- Concerts in the Park: are free community based concerts in De Waal Park in central Cape Town’s suburb of Oranjezicht. It’s free to the 60,000 people who attend each year and the costs involved in putting on big names like Arno Carstens, The Rudimentals, Freshly Ground, Hot Water, etc., is borne by the sponsors; Cape Town City Council, the Mayor’s office and Nandos.
- The Greek-style Oude Libertas Amphitheatre is open to the public throughout the summer and is a beautiful place to settle down on a Sunday with a picnic (bring your own or order from them), to be entertained by an array of talent.
- Up the Creek on from 30 Jan to 2 Feb 2014 is the most laid back weekend of music, laughter, camping, splashing about in the Breede River and meeting chilled out people of all ages.
- Darling Music Experience is small concerts in a small town in such venues as wine estates, a church, barn and community centres for lovers of classical and more popular music. The music varies between classical and contemporary chamber music, popular choir works and Jazz and it’s on from 7-16 Feb 2014.
- Kirstenbosch Summer Sunday Concerts are renowned for their genial atmosphere and quality of performances. See the whole line up here and enjoy a whole range of South Africa’s most popular talent.
Which summer concerts will you be going to?