The Darling Voorkamer Festival is a multi-cultural arts fest with performances in people’s front rooms. It’s totally fabulous, authentic and heart-warming with an array of entertainment in spaces ranging from the size of a dance-floor to a tiny RDP house front room – everyone is squashed in! Welcomed into each home, you are privilege to a world-class performance that could be anything from opera to comedy, piano recital to a play, musicians, poets or dancers.
It’s pot luck who you see as you don’t know which performances you will be allocated when you book – this is part of the mystery, and so are the venues you will be visiting in a township taxi. You just have to give up control for a couple of hours and let yourself be taken on a theatrical mystery tour before returning to Darling’s most famous theatre ‘Evita se Perron’. All you know is that you have a ticket – the rest is one big surprise!
This is how the Voorkamer Festival works:
1. Book your tickets through the Voorkamer Festival website
2. Turn up early to collect your vouchers and see what else is going on in Darling, wander around the craft market and have some refreshments (take some drinks with you on your theatre tour)
3. You are directed to stand in a queue with other likeminded people who have the same colour voucher and await your taxi (this sometimes takes a while)
4. Jump in the taxi which will ferry you to three performances in different parts of Darling and drop you back at Evita se Perron
5. Go and have a late lunch or dinner at the restaurant you have pre-booked or take pot luck if you didn’t
You may still have time to get tickets so click here to find out.