The Durbanville Wine Valley recently celebrated ‘Feast of the Grape’, its annual Harvest Festival which signalled the end of the grape season and the beginning of autumn.
Harvesting the bountiful yields of the vineyards is one of the most important moments in the making of good wine and always well worth the celebration! The valley boasts a wonderful selection of wine farms with fun activities for the whole family.
Here are out Feast of the Grape highlights:
- Grape picking, traditional grape stomping and making of wine in the cellar at Bloemendal Wine Estate alongside the beautiful famed poplar trees and calming lily pond.
- Experiencing a vertical tasting with four De Grendel Pinot Noir vintages, paired with a Burgundy inspired dish – followed by a game of boules on the rolling lawns.
- Indulging in a leisurely picnic under the shady trees of Diemersdal Estate whilst drinking in the natural beauty of the countryside, followed by a stroll through the vineyards.
- Tasting grape “must” at Altydgedacht Cellar (a rare treat only available at harvest time) whilst enjoying a vineyard tour with the winemaker.
- Soaking up the fiesta atmosphere and flavours wafting from the great selection of food stalls at Durbanville Hills whilst admiring the breath-taking views of the ocean.