1. The Olympic gold medal is made up of 93% silver, 6% copper and only 1% gold. Solid gold medals were last given in the 1912 games in Stockholm, Sweden. The raw material of an Olympic gold medal on today’s market is worth about $650.
2. Equestrian events are the only Olympic sport in which men and women compete on equal terms.
3. Baseball and softball have been dropped as Olympic sports for 2012 but golf and rugby sevens will be added for the 2016 Games.
4. This will be the first Olympics with HD TV freeze-frame coverage.
5. Only three pro football players aged over 23 are allowed per team.
6. London will become the first city to host the Olympic Games 3 times; 1908, 1948 and 2012.
8. The Olympic motto is ‘Citius, Altius, Fortius’, Latin for ‘Faster, Higher, Stronger’.
9. It is estimated that 4 billion people watched the London Olympics opening ceremony.
10. Athletes from 204 nations will take part in 26 sports.