Whisky Tasting at Bascule is a great Christmas Present; novices will enjoy our ‘Introduction to Whisky’, while a slightly more educated palate will appreciate the ‘Taste Experience’. Whisky connoisseurs should try the Sommelier’s Choice, with a choice of six very special whiskies from the collection of over 500 in Bascule, and just about everybody enjoys our Whisky and Food Pairing.
We asked George Novitskas, Bascule Manager and Bradley Jacobs, Assistant Bascule Manager, their Top 5 ways to pair Whisky with Christmas cuisine:
- The smoky peat characteristics of Highland Park from Orkney will pair beautifully with an old fashion snoek braai. Bradley suggests using a mustard and coriander rub for the inside instead of the traditional way.
- Get out the Glenmorangie LaSanta 12 yr old from Speyside or the new exclusively sherry cask matured Macallan range, which is to be sipped gently with mince pies and chocolate.
- Then head for a Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon to have with the American traditional desert of pumpkin pie. Bradly adds, “I would add a scoop of ice cream to round off the sweetness.”
- There’s nothing better to lift Mom’s good old apple pie to new heights than Buffalo Trace Bourbon, with its sweet toffee, molasses and vanilla on the nose.
- After the Highland Park, you might be ready for Laphroaig Island single malt (1815). One whiff and you are in the medical room with bandages and iodine; elements absorbed through the barrel from the Atlantic sea breezes. The flavour is different from the smell, and pair it with a cheese platter of gorgonzola and mature cheddar and they both become sublime
If the above sounds good, why not make your way to Bascule to meet George and Bradley or spoil a loved one by purchasing a Tasting Experience!