When it comes to funny, there’s laugh out loud funny, wry grin funny, downright rude, subtle and clever funny and not really funny but you can’t help laughing.
Here are our top 5 funny books you should add to your summer reading list:
- The World According to Clarkson: Jeremy Clarkson’s irreverent British humour, as demonstrated in the TV series ‘Top Gear’, is smart-arse funny inciting a sideways chuckle at how rude he can be.
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: This book takes an Englishman in slippers and dressing gown into outer space just before his planet gets blown up - it’s hilarious and appeals to that sense of bizarre humour in almost everyone. The film is great too.
- The Importance of Being Earnest: By Oscar Wilde, this dry, astute and funny book will forever be a classic.
- Spud: Let’s keep it local and include the memoirs of a schoolboy who the author calls, “a wistful boy with small privates”.
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Who would have thought a book on English grammar could be so funny? You will have to read this gem by Lynn Truss to find out just how funny (it does help to have a modicum of interest in the English language)
Please tell us what’s on your summer reading list so we can share it with our readers!