The wonderful citizens of South Africa give roughly R12 billion per annum to help others. Are you one of them? Why not give a gift that will benefit others and tell your loved ones you have donated in their name?
Here are five organisations that facilitate gifts to those that really need them and let you become part of a greater community of social change-makers.
- Greater Good SA – This site connects givers with good causes in South Africa. You can select specific projects from a long list of categories and your donation goes to the charity you’ve chosen.
- Gifts for Good – From November to January, their Giving Season promotion offers a range of alternative festive gifts to help make a difference to people, through development projects working against poverty in South Africa.
- Gift of the Givers – Besides disaster relief, Gift of the Givers run 24 projects covering Health, Education, Agricultural Sustainability, Life Skills, Job Creation & Entrepreneurship, Feeding Schemes, Sport & Culture and Winter Warmth. Their assistance is humanitarian and unconditional. Your Christmas donation goes into the pot or can be directed specifically to situations like the Somalian food crisis.
- Foodbank South Africa – Here’s an easy way to donate to a charity this Christmas, give your Pick ‘n Pay smart shopper points to Foodbank for Hampers Against Hunger. Just go to the smart-shopper kiosk or donate via online shopping. You can also SMS “Foodbank” to 40421 to donate R20 and feed 12 hungry people.
- 46664 Campaign - You know what this number means don’t you? Why not buy something from the 46664 online shop which is dedicated entirely to merchandise produced under ethical conditions whose proceeds raise funds for 46664 projects and initiatives. How about the 46664 bangle engraved with Nelson Mandela’s prison number, handcrafted in copper, silver, gold and platinum? Click here to buy your bangle.
Tell us about your Christmas donations and ways you’ve found to give for good.