Did you know that Bascule is home to the largest selection of whiskies in the southern hemisphere – boasting over 400 different whiskies? One of these prestigious brands is our very own proudly South African Three Ships Whisky – part of the James Sedgwick Distillery which is situated just an hour’s drive out of Cape Town in the beautiful countryside of Wellington.
We were exclusively invited to visit the distillery for a tour and a private whisky tasting and were amazed by how much we learnt and what we saw! Here are five interesting facts we thoughts were worth sharing:
1. Three Ships Whisky have brought many ‘firsts’ to South Africa: the first whisky brand, the first blend of South African and Scotch whiskies, the first South African single malt and the country’s first 100% blended whisky – definitely worth a taste!
2. The James Sedgwick Distillery has been named Best Brand Innovator in Whisky Magazines’ 2011 Icons of Whisky competition.
3. 2011 marks master distiller and blender Andy Watts’, only the sixth manager in the distillery’s 125 year history, 25th year at The James Sedgwick Distillery
4. Three Ships Bourbon Cask Finish received the category award for the Best Rest of the World Blended Whisky at Whisky Magazine’s 2011 World Whisky Awards
5. Seven years after the first Three Ships 10 Year Old Single Malt Whisky was introduced to the South African market, a second limited edition single malt was launched late last year
What is your favourite Three Ships Whisky? Ours would definitely be the Bourbon Cask Finish!