It’s whale time in the Cape, and while we don’t have the longest, loudest or deepest diving, our whales bring us joy. Here are a few whale tales:
- Largest: Blue Whale - these enormous animals reach up to and over 30 metres long and are found in many waters around the world
- Deepest Diving: Sperm Whale - these 20 metre long mammals can dive as deep as 3km looking for squid and fish
- Furthest migration: Humpback – the longest recorded migration was 8 300 km from Costa Rica to Antarctica. They are found in Cape waters too. You can download humpback whale wallpaper from National Geographic
- Loudest: Blue Whale - these are the loudest creatures alive, emitting a whistle of 188 decibels (a jet is about 140 decibels), which can resonate for hundreds of miles under water
- Friendliest: Grey Whales in Mexico - the grey whales of San Ignacio Lagoon off the west coast of Mexico are so friendly they present their heads to be scratched.