Top of the list in most South African’s opinion has to be malva pudding
Bread and butter pudding must surely run an extremely close second
Self-saucing chocolate pud with vanilla ice cream
Fruit crumble and custard
Cape Grace Head Pastry Chef, Lorraine Meaney, shares her favourite sago recipe!
- 190g sago
- 375g water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 115g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 eggs
- 450ml milk
- 38g butter
- Apricot jam
- Pre heat the oven to 160⁰C.
- Soak the sago in the water overnight. Rinse off.
- Bring the milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla pod to the boil. Remove the cinnamon and vanilla pod. Add the sago and cook until translucent.
- Remove from the heat and add the eggs and butter.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake at 160⁰C for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly and brush with a good quality apricot jam.
- Serve with fresh unwhipped cream.
Do you agree with our winter dessert choices? Tell us about your favourites and if you have a tried and tested recipe you’d be prepared to share, please do so in the comments.