It’s just not Christmas until you gather round and sing some off-key Christmas carols (fudging the middle bits and going big in the chorus of course).
We’ve selected our choice of Carolling Concerts for 2016. So, warm up those vocal chords, grab your Santa hat or elf ears and join in the merriment. Most spots are picnic-friendly, or offer snacks and drinks for sale. Oh, what fun!
1. Carols by Candlelight at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
Carols by Candlelight (or glow sticks to be more accurate) has been a firm calendar favourite with locals and visitors alike for more than two decades. This four-night series is the Rotary Club’s flagship fundraising event and ideal for all ages.
Warm up acts start at 5:30, but the main attraction is the Cape Town Concert Brass and Male Voice Choir, who lead the crowd in singing traditional carols from about 8pm, supported by a very sweet Nativity play performed by a local school.
Bring along your own picnic and blankets or make the most of the pre-ordering option when you book your tickets online.
- Where: Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
- When: 15-18 December 2016
- Time: 6pm onwards, but come earlier to enjoy the sunset and book your picnic spot on the vast lawn.
- Cost: R25 for children, R75 for scholars and R100 for adults.
- Tickets: Available from WebTickets
- Bring Along: Your blankets and low chairs, as well as your own picnic and drinks if you like.
2. Carols by Candle Light & Xmas Crooners Picnic – Ike Moriz & Friends
If a more intimate, jazzy affair sounds like your scene, make sure you grab a ticket to this swinging event before they all sell out. Bring along your own picnic and accompaniments and while away the evening as Ike and a talented line up of local musos croon to some beloved Christmas classics and modern renditions alike.
- Where: Constantia (Secret Botanical Garden), Constantia Woods
- When: Sunday, 18 December 2016
- Time: 5-8pm
- Cost: R130 for adults. Free entry for kids under 12. One free bottle of wine with each four pre-paid bookings.
- Tickets: Available from Quicket
- Bring Along: Own candles, picnic, blankets, low chairs and umbrellas.
3. Festive Concert at Groot Constantia Wine Estate
Enjoy the wonderfully talented Symphony Choir of Cape Town, accompanied by a brass ensemble, on the lawns at the historic Groot Constantia Wine Estate. Snacks and wine will be available for purchase, but you’re welcome to bring along your own. The lawns open for picnics at 5pm and the concert will start at 7pm.
- Where: Groot Constantia Wine Estate, Constantia
- When: 7 December 2016
- Time: 7pm
- Cost: R150 for adults, R60 for children under 12.
- Tickets: On sale at Computicket
- Bring Along: Your own picnic, chairs and blankets.
- Bonus: If you’re a fan of the Symphony Choir, make sure to catch them performing Handel’s Messiah on Friday, December 23rd 2016 at 6pm at St Martini Lutheran Church, in Long Street, Cape Town.
4. Christmas Carols with Richard Cock
Famed conductor, Richard Cock, will lead the Symphony Orchestra and Massed Choir in their performance of memorable masterpieces at the beautiful Bishops Memorial Chapel in the Southern Suburbs. While it’s not a picnicking event, the atmospheric chapel is just as lovely.
Richard is known for his theatrical performances, in which he drives his orchestra to perform in spectacular fashion. Refreshments will be on sale.
- Where: Bishops Memorial Chapel – Diocesan College, Rondebosch
- When: 16 December 2016
- Time: 6pm, with doors opening at 5pm.
- Cost: R140 per ticket
- Tickets: Available from Computicket
- Bring Along: A bit of cash for refreshments.
Blog post by: Tarah Darge