Savour precious family moments and create memories to last a lifetime, all while experiencing the magnificence of Cape Town with our new Family Escapes package. Cape Grace is ideally positioned to allow families to enjoy Cape Town’s best family-friendly attractions, including the unmissable Two Oceans Aquarium. We have included tickets to this wonderful watery world in our new Family Escapes package for four.
Two Oceans Aquarium
Go shark-spotting, meet the min-rays, and find ‘Nemo’ at the world-class Two Oceans Aquarium, based on our doorstep at the V&A Waterfront. We include four tickets (two for adults and two for children), as part of the package, so you can explore the fascinating world of ocean together.
Jam-packed with conservation-minded activities for the whole family, supported by a strong environmental ethos, filled with exciting and exotic animals, which makes for plenty of cute and endearing memory-making opportunities, it is a wonderful outing everyone will love. We list five kiddie-favourites below.
1. The ‘Nemo’ tank. Crawl into the one of a kind viewing bubble of the tank and emerge into a world of the famous (and very cute) Western clownfish from Finding Nemo. Snap some pics before exploring the rest of the incredibly diverse array of sea life in the diversity exhibition that follows. Eerie jellyfish lit up by neon lights drift in their tubular homes, the tiny Knysna Seahorses (endemic and endangered) curl their tails around one another, and eels, a shy octopus, giant crabs and fish that look like creatures from outer space make for a mesmerising tour.
2. The ragged-tooth sharks. The predator and ocean exhibits are home to some larger than life ragged tooth sharks, gliding stingrays, giant Kob, and even a turtle, all of whom might be spotted from the amphitheater styled viewing point of the tank, or the immersive tunnel that runs through it! Gasp in wonder at the size of the ‘raggies’ and learn to appreciate them for the crucial role they play in our ocean’s ecosystem. Shark feeding time takes place on Sundays at 3pm, so if you’re visiting then, head on over for some toothy action!
3. Touch and play at the Skretting Pool. We know that little ones love getting their hands involved which is why the skretting touch pool is perfect for exploring. There they can feel the slimy seaweed, meet some starfish and sea snails, and even excavate a coelacanth fossil in the next-door sandpit.
4. Say ‘hi’ to the penguins. The penguin exhibit is home to a colony of African penguins, rescued rockhopper penguins, and a mole snakes, as well as toads. The sleek and tuxedoed little birds are comical and fascinating to watch as they swim, doze and scratch. If want to join them for their meal of shrimp and fish, make sure to swing by at 11h30 or 14h30.
5. Let them loose at the I&J Play Centre. Any extra energy will quickly be used up at the play centre where children are invited to attend puppet shows, take part in arts and crafts, and enjoy the use of the sandpit. It also has the best view of the rocky penguin’s swimming pool, as well as little cafe, which makes it a great pitstop for parents too.
Two Oceans Aquarium Opening Hours
The Aquarium is open 365 days a year.
09:30 – 18:00 (weekdays) and 09:00 – 18:00 (Saturdays, Sundays, school holidays and public holidays).
Family time continued at the Cape Grace
We know that your family will love exploring Cape Town, but want to make sure that the time you spend with us, at Cape Grace, is extra special too.
If you are eager to bundle up the brood indoors, meet in the library for indigenous tales of our Big 5 during ‘African Story Time’, where giraffes, warthogs, lions, and rhinos ran wild through imaginations young and old.
We also invite our little guests to gather round the table for some messy but fun gingerbread decorating, where they are free to sprinkle on sweeties, get fingers sticky and create their own edible masterpieces.
Finally, relax into our home-away-from-home feel with a sumptuous in-room family feast, with special menus for little ones, and authentic Cape fusion cuisine mom and dad will savour.
These specially-crafted experiences and more, are all a part our our Family Escapes package – a wonderful way to reconnect and make memories together. Simply decide when to visit Cape Town, and our attentive team will take care of the rest.
Blog post by Tarah Darge