When it comes to Easter, you can’t beat eating a decadent, sticky hot cross bun—particularly when it contains chocolate chips. Our Head Pastry Chef, Lorraine Meaney, shares her favourite Hot Cross Bun recipe for you to enjoy in the comfort of your own home. We hope that you have a wonderful time making them with your family.
Ingredients: (Makes 25 buns)
- 750g Cake flour
- 68g Castor sugar
- 15g Salt
- 30g Fresh yeast (pasted with a little water)
- 300g Butter
- 9 Eggs
- 150g Raisins
- 100g Cranberries
- 75g Citrus Peel
- 2tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1/2tsp Ground cloves
- 70% 100g Chocolate chips
- Mix flour, castor sugar, salt and yeast in a machine with a dough hook
- Add eggs and mix till the dough comes together.
- Add butter in 4 parts, the dough should be soft and glossy
- Mix the spices, fruits and chocolate together and add to the dough, mix till incorporated.
- Rest the dough covered overnight in the fridge
- Weigh 70g portions and roll, place on a greased tray with a small space in between
- Prove till doubled
- Pipe a cross onto the rolls
- Bake in a convection oven at 180°C for 12 minutes, they should be golden brown
- Brush with warm simple syrup
- 100g flour
- 70g water
- 30g icing sugar
- Mix to a paste
- 100g orange juice
- 100g castor sugar
- Boil the juice and sugar together.
You can also accompany your family to Signal Restaurant tomorrow, where delectable items like roast fillet of beef, truffle-creamed potato and confit free range chicken will be available from our Buffet Sunday Lunch. You can also expect some traditional favourites, including hot cross buns, sticky toffee pudding and chocolate eggs—a delightful sensory exploration. Kindly email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 021 410 7080 to arrange your reservation. The buffet lunch will be served at the rate of R395 per adult and R195 for children.
Blog post by: Samantha Williams